Monday, April 7, 2008

Shrug

Nothing very exciting going on around here-weather is still not so great so we spend a lot of time at the aquarium and I think I know each fish by name now.
 Also, we read lots and lots of books. Will's favorite right now is one about Knights.  He was asking me what armor was and apparently I just pointed to the knights arm because Will says "so this is his 'toe-er' (pointing to the knight's toe) and this is his 'leg-er' (pointing to the knight's leg).  Yep!  And so to knitting.  Yes, I know this piece is terribly simple but I honestly wear stuff like this all the time (it adds some detail to my relatively boring shirt repertoire).  I'm also working on one with sleeves (sort of) but it's boring me to sobs.  I'll post some pics when it's done.  I'm taking a finishing class at the end of the month and am currently working on swatches for that.  We'll see how it goes.  So far, I'm scared to seam anything so hopefully this will give me the confidence I need to do a sweater.  Forgive the pictures-I've never been terribly comfortable with the camera.  Also, the pattern is one Kamille (owns a local yarn store) made many years ago and she can't remember where she saw it first.  You just cast on 43 (45, 47) stitches and knit in a 1x1 rib until it's 30 inches long (or however large you need it so it fits snugly) and then mattress stitch it together.  This first photo was taken at Steve's cousin's house on Sunday-it was sooo cold but shruggy kept me warm (ish).  
See, it's lovely really.  I can wear it to warm my shoulders...



or my neck!  

6 comments:

Steve said...

You look beautiful and are quite the knitter. I love you.

And by the way, that Will is the cutest little boy I have ever seen.

Erin said...

Ohhh, I love it--a knit for YOU! You look beautiful and the shrug looks great.

Cloudberry said...

The shrug looks so warm and cosy!!! Love the color.

Yes, Endre will be 3 in july.
It'was fun to read about the toe-er and the leg-er *lol*

Endre has lately started to talk in long sentences - and it so fun to be able to have a conversation with him.

Nicki said...

Heidi,

I want a shruggy!

Love,
Nicki

Kara said...

Toe-er?! Oh my goodness. That kid cracks me up.

Um, how cute is that shrug?? You look so fab in it. And I love all the different looks you can have with it. You are going to be knitting sweaters in no time!

Unknown said...

That arm-er comment by Will is too funny! And I continue to be impressed that our Prez is such the knitter! When will you start to take orders? :-)