Sunday, March 30, 2008

Hats

And it came to pass that Stitch N' Bitch taught Erin (girlwhoknits) and Erin taught Kara (knittinglemonade) and Kara taught Heidi (stixandstring)... thus the knitting continued.  Now Erin and Kara are uberknitters and I'm just beginning but let me show you some of my proudest achievements so far.  The "Jon Merrick" was made under Kara's ever vigilant eye.  She taught me how to knit in the round, decrease, and pick up stitches all in one night.  Genius.  It is called Jon Merrick because before it was felted, it could have fit atop the Elephant Man's head and covered it entirely.  It is just the cutest thing.  It doesn't look so great on me right now since my hair is short but it was sooo cute before I cut it off.


Pattern: Brooklyn Cap from Interweave Knits Summer 2006
Yarn: terribly sorry-no idea but some kind of feltable wool
Needles: #11 16 inch circulars and #11 dpns


These two are my favorite and my best.  They were the first thing besides a scarf that I did completely on my own after being abandoned by Kara who callously moved to London!  
Pattern: The Crown from Just Hats
  Yarn: Lion's Brand cotton-ease 50% cotton 50% acrylic 
  Needles: size 8 16 inch circulars and size 8 dpns
Adjustments: I just left the petals off of Will's hat to make it more fitting for a boy.  I must say, they wear these things everywhere and get so many compliments!  Yay me!



Okay, these are the cutest things ever invented.  They take me about 3 hours and I've been making them as the most special baby gifts ever given (except the booties Erin gave my kids when they were born).  People just about die when they get a hand knit item as a gift (I should know... booties) and these are so simple I've even taught friends and family how to do them (yes, me!).  
          Pattern: Children's Cotton Hats from Last Minute Knitted Gifts
           Yarn: Mission Falls 1824 100% cotton or Suss Yarn 100% cotton (Suss is a bit softer)
          Needles: size 7 circular and size 7 dpns
         Adjustments: the only thing I've done is to shorten the i-cord for boy hats 
      so I can just tie them in a knot instead of a bow.  Or you can 
       just skip the eyelet round and  forget the i-cord.  I also did one 
       with two half skeins I had left and made it yellow and green 
      stripey.  SOOO stinkin' cute.  I gave that one to my nephew 
Asher but I'll try to get a photo on here. 
So-I'm working on two shrugs right now (yes, I know I'm a multiple knitter-I'm still scared!) and I will post those photo's as soon as I can.  Mostly this post is for my girls Erin and Kara (especially Kara who did the actual hands-on teaching of me).  Thank you both so much for introducing me to something that has become such a thrill in my life!  All my love! 

6 comments:

marit said...

Hi!
THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENT ON MY BLOG:-)
iT IS ALWAYS NICE TO FIND NEW BLOGS- YOURS LOOK VERY NICE, AND YOU HAVE SOME ADORABLE KIDS MODELING GREAT KNITS!
ps-I accidentally hit the caps lock tab...Anyway, I'll add you to my favourites:-)

Erin said...

I am like a proud mama. Or is it grandma? Your hats are adorable. All of them. I really love the stripy hats on Will and Lizzie. Can't wait to see what is next in your knitting journey!

Oh, and we are SO owning a yarn store together in a few years.

Amanda Parry said...

Wow-love the hats. Your kids are so cute. I need to take up knitting or something so when I veg in front of the TV I am actually productive.

Kara said...

Oh. My. Goodness. You are a hat genius! I love all the hats. They petal one...to die for!!!! But I have to admit the Jon Merrick will always hold a special place in my heart. "I am not an animal!"

Cloudberry said...

Great job on those hats!

Before you know it you'll be knitting socks, sweaters and mittens in now time :)

Travis and Marie said...

wow! I am so impressed, I wish I knew how...maybe someday. They are absolutely darling.