Friday, June 27, 2008

sHell!

Praise the heavens!  I've finished.  Do I love it?  Nope.  I like it.  That's all.  It doesn't fit like a glove because I'm a twit and decided to use cotton on my first "sweaterish" item.  Fool!  I also don't much like this picture because the shirt I'm wearing underneath is a v-neck and this shell should only be worn with a button up shirt or a scoop neck.  This, my friends, is what NOT to wear.  Whatever!  My sister was over here earlier and I had her take a quick pic.  Here's what we get.  Yes, apparently I'm waaay to vain. 
 I'm devastated over the fact that I sewed the shoulders together completely wrong but I'm thrilled that the sides are the perfect mattress stitch-invisible!  Also, in trying to rectify the shoulder seems, I accidentally snipped an actual stitch and made a hole in the shoulder!  I know, it's too horrible.  I tied a knot (I know, no knots in knitting!) and made it almost invisible.  I cried over this mistake and will never again sew shoulder seems together incorrectly.  Lesson learned.  

Here's a picture of it off my body.  My thinnest area on my body is my waist.  This shell, as you can see, does not come in at the waist.  Therefore, it's a bit baggy around the tummy (you can only see this if you're looking at me from the side in this shell).  La di da.  
I am quite proud of my shell but regret that I didn't knit it in an alpaca/silk blend (the other option the pattern gave).  This pattern requires A LOT of picking up stitches and other techniques that I was uncomfortable with.  I learned a lot and for that I am extremely happy.  

Also, I was tagged by Hege in an ABC game where you describe yourself through the letters of the alphabet.  How fun!  I've never been tagged before.  If you feel like playing along I really hope you do because I learned things about Hege from her list, that I didn't know.  Here goes...

A-Alpaca, my favorite thing to knit with.
B-Bendixen.  My original last name (I never legally changed it).  I'm very proud to be one!
C-Chocolate chip cookies (that Steve made, for which I will later kill him).  I love them!
D-Dogs.  My favorite animal.  We have two-Boo and Shamus.  Also, Dad.  Mine husband is a great one and our Dads are fantastic too.
E-Elizabeth, my baby girl.
F-Family.  They're the most important thing to me.
G-girls.  I love being around girls, doing girl things, just being a girl.
H-Hell.  What it feels like in Utah right now!
I-Intelligence.  Very important to me.
J-Joker.  Love having people on.
K-Knitting!
L-Linton.  My husbands family who I love.
M-Mom.  That's who I am and I love mine.
N-Nice.  Something I should be more often.
O-Olives.  I love olives.
P-Patience.  I REALLY need to work on patience.
Q-Quiet.  I love when the kids are asleep and it's nice and quiet.
R-Responsible.  I need to work on this one (yes I'm 31, I STILL need to work on this one).
S-Steve, I love his stinkin' guts!
T-TV.  I'm in love with TV.  
U-Utah.  It's hotter than hell but I love it just the same!
V-Values.  Something I try very hard to teach my kids.
W-William, my little man. 
X-Christmas.  I know, very unoriginal.  I do love Christmas, though!
Y-Yarn.  Obviously.
Z-Zion.  It's the only thing that came to mind.  It's a National Park here and I really would not want to be there right now as it is probably 115 degrees.  Seriously.  

7 comments:

Travis and Marie said...

I'm pretty sure you are too hard on yourself about the shell...I think it's adorable. i would wear it, cotton and all!

cindave said...

i agree with the previous commenter. the shell is so cute! and think of it this way. it was your first, and if you had made it with alpaca, then the shoulders and the snipped stitch/knot would make you even more crazy. now you'll have the alpaca one perfect and love it all the more! i'm terribly impressed. TERRIBLY. nice work.

Nicki said...

So, I'm just curious... but if it's so stinkin' HOT in Utah right now, why in heaven's name are you wearing a LONG SLEEVE SHIRT?

Cute sweater, by the way! You're so lucky that the smallest part of you is your waist!

Cloudberry said...

I think the shell is great.
Lovely color.
Maybe you should try seaming the shoulders with kitchener stitch.

Have a great weekend :)
we actually had sun today!

marit said...

I really like the shell- and it looks good on you!
Nice list too:-)
Have a nice weekend!

Erin said...

I am so proud of you Heidi! Your shell really does look great--I can't believe it is your first full on garment. I do totally understand about wanting it to be perfect though. That is just how I am.

By the way, are you watching Robin Hood on BBC America? LOVE it.

Adam and Bri said...

Heidi! I know nothing about knitting, but I'm so, so impressed. You're quite the talent.

Oh, and I loved your ABCs list. Basically, I just adore keeping up with you, Steve, Will and Lizzy.

Muah!