Wednesday, June 18, 2008

California Dreamin' (Part I)

We've been in California for the past 5 days and have been having a blast.  The trip is going to have to be divided into a few posts because there are lots of pictures and we did a lot of stuff (I'm quite shocked at the amount of stuff we did with the two pills!)

The first day we went down to San Juan Capistrano to meet up with some of Steve's family who were in California as well.  We had a few hours until dinner with them so we decided to go to the beach.  The kids had so much fun.  Lizzy was afraid of the waves at first but quickly fell in love with the water and sand (especially the sand-she thought it tasted mighty fine!).  I love this picture.  Look at the three different sets of footprints-so cute.  


Here's Will just running his little legs off.  I'm amazed that he finally let go of my hand-he is so scared of the water.  When he's with Steve he's a bit more brave and will let the water touch him without someone holding his hand.  Heaven forbid.  

The Lizzard had the time of her life.  Notice the sand on her face-leftovers from her sand lunch. She was more brave than her brother and tried several times to just saunter off into the waves on her own.  Very scary.  
Another shot of my Monkey Man being very daring!  He LOVED the beach and threw a fit (imagine that) when we had to leave.  
After the beach we met up with Steve's parents to go to the Mission in San Juan Capistrano.  It was built by an Italian Friar in 1776 (I think) and it is completely gorgeous.  This is one of the ruins that you can tour.  It reminded me a bit of Rome (ahhh, Rome).  I realize that it is much "newer" than ancient Rome but it's about as "ancient" as we get here in the U.S..  The gardens are beautiful and the kids had a lot of fun just running about.
Here's one last shot of Lizzy being cute and running away from the camera in order to savage the nearest object.  
We then met up with Steve's sister Karen and her family for dinner at a Mexican restaurant down the street from the Mission.  All in all it was a wonderful day.  I was very excited that we didn't have too many meltdowns from the kids due to air travel and lack of naps.   
Next post...Studio City!
 



9 comments:

Suzi said...

I am glad you had fun but I am also glad you all are back. We missed you terribly. I miss sit and knit.

Erin said...

How fun! I didn't know you were in California. I miss the beach.

Steve said...

very good summation of our first day. it was really fun and one of the things i liked most about the trip was all of the things we did that we have never done before. very, very fun.

Steve

Cloudberry said...

Great photos!
I guess the kids had a wonderful time at the beach.
I just hope we can get some sun and warm weather soon so we can go to the beach...

Kara said...

Babies in the waves...life does not get any better than that!

leandparkermakes3 said...

Oh, how I love California! It looks like you guys had a great time! I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

marit said...

It looks as if you had a splendid time! great photos!

Travis and Marie said...

I love your pictures...the kids looked like they had loads of fun at the beach. I love those kinds of trips where they are wiped at the end of the day and sleep so great! I need a vacation! :)

cindave said...

the more we hear about your fun vacation, the more we are jealous of your trip. can't wait to see the next post!