Friday, July 25, 2008

Summertime!

Okay, it's 102 degrees outside, we're all a bit sunburned, I've gained 5 lbs in the last day from overeating at our street party, I'm playing with yards and yards of wool, and Will is taking swimming lessons.  What does this sound like?  A typical summer.  I really do love summer (I DO NOT love the 15 plus days we have of 100+ degree temperatures).  Here is a picture of Will at his first swimming lesson.

Scared to death.  He had his third lesson today and is actually doing  quite a bit better but still scared to death!  His teacher is very cute with him which helps immensely.  Will no longer cries when it is time for swimming.  Big strides.  This is what Lizzy thinks of swimming lessons...

She usually has to stay in the car and watch a movie now because she wants to get in the water.  She is very unlike Will in that she's a complete daredevil.  We went swimming at our neighborhood pool yesterday and Steve, my sister Brooke and I were throwing her to each other in the pool and she was loving it.  Will chose not to participate.  

The funny thing about this summer (that hasn't happened any previous summer) is that I play with wool and alpaca in 100 degree weather.  The kids were riding bikes outside the other day and I was working on an alpaca blanket and after about 5 minutes I had to push it off of my lap because I was boiling under it!  What could I have been thinking?

Here are a few pictures of things I've knitted recently but have not taken pictures.  The first on is a free pattern from knitting daily.  It's called the boucle shrug but I didn't knit it out of boucle, nor did I make it into a shrug.  When I finished it I thought it looked lovely as a wrap.  I think I'll give it to my Mom.  It is the most boring thing I have ever knit.

Pattern:  Boucle Shrug from Knitting Daily online store
Yarn: Cascade 220
Needles: US 9
Changes: Didn't sew up the sleeves!

This is the Airy Scarf I knitted for my mother in law's birthday.  It was a really fun pattern and very quick to knit.
Pattern: Airy Scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts
Yarn: Rowan Kidsilk Haze
Needles: US 10
Changes: None

Here is the cutest hat I've ever seen.  It's the Nightcap from "And So To Bed" by Lucinda Guy.  Was there ever a cuter children's wear designer?  I think not.  I was introduced to Lucinda Guy patterns by Hege and I love them.  This hat is HUGE on Will (and he has a huge head) but he loves it and I think it turned out very cute.

And how adorable are those buck teeth?  Oh, the future orthodontist bill!

Pattern: Nightcap by Lucinda Guy
Yarn: Rowan Wool/Cotton
Needles: US 7
Changes: None

Finally, there is another birthday coming up, my sister in law, and I just had to make her some fingerless mitts.  I've done at least 56 million pairs of these now but I can't get enough.  They are so fast and I just love the result.  I've fiddled around with the pattern a few times and I think this is my favorite.  I made them a bit longer and bound off with a needle 4 sizes bigger than the one I knit them with.  I FINALLY got the bind off I've been wanting with these!  I also did these magic loop and I really like that method.  I find it faster that dpn's.  


Pattern: Some variation of who knows what so I'm just calling it mine.
Yarn: Zealana merino (the itchiest merino in the world)
Needles: US 7 (magic loop) and US 11 for bind off
Changes: Yes

So, a lot of knitting.  It's been a good week.  Knitting, swimming, a holiday (24th of July, Utah's "Pioneer Day" commemorating when the Mormon Pioneers came into the Salt Lake Valley), eating, and a party.  Also, I got an award from Hege!  Hooray.  That's the cherry on top.  Happy knitting to all, and to all a good week.

7 comments:

cindave said...

that hat is SOOOOO cute!

Cloudberry said...

The nightcap is cute!

Nicki said...

Scared to death?? He looks like a pro!

Love the sunglasses!

I love your little passion for knitting... it's so cute! As soon as I get thru our move, I'm gonna start working on our "trade"!

Chris said...

You are amazing! I hope that when I grow up I can knit like you!!! (I'm only good at the B&M) I love to see your cuties in pictures and especially in real life. HUGS :}

Erin said...

Wow, that is quite the catch-up. I particularly love that night cap.

Oh, and I believe I have gained 10 pounds from this trip to Hawaii. Ah, summertime.

marit said...

102 degrees? Yikes!!! We're almost dead at 80!
Cute hat- and tell Will he's doing great! I have four that swim like fish, and they are having so much fun in the water (even though I think it's pretty cold- around 18 degrees Celsius)

Travis and Marie said...

your stuff is so cute! I love swimming lessons even if the kiddos hate them...it looks like Will has a good teacher and I think it's darling that Lizzy is fearless...amazing how different they are isn't it?