Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Happy 4th and Happy Feet (and a hat)

I love America (even if people think we're annoying!)

 
 Don't you hate how firework pictures never show up?!  We had a great 4th of July.  We did some shopping and then went to a friends front yard which is located right behind Cougar Stadium (Brigham Young University, go Cougars!).  BYU does "Stadium of Fire" every year, we never go to the actual concert etc. in the stadium but we always go to Provo and sit on the grass all day in order to see the spectacular firework show they do.  This year Mylie Cyrus was the main event and the kids were very excited because we could hear the concert from where we were.  
Every year Will freaks out over the noise of fireworks and so we have to put head phones on him!  This year, he asked if he could have them off so he could hear better.  My baby is growing up!  He loves, and had has always loved sparklers.  How cute is he?   



And so to knitting.  The first project I completed was this pair of "pedicure socks".  I'm giving them to my friend, Jennyanne for her birthday.  The yarn I used was Berroco Comfort because she's allergic to wool.  These are great socks, they can be slipped on after a pedicure just before you get your nails painted!  Ha!  Jennyanne will love these.  They turned out sort of "camo" looking so I sewed the button on to make them a bit more feminine.  I'm making some for myself for lovely winter pedicures.  


You can put your flip flops on and out of the salon you go.  Obviously these are not for everyone.  My sisters laughed at me when I showed them.  My sisters-in-law, however, thought they were great!


Pattern: Beginner Socks from Knitting Pure and Simple
Yarn: Berroco Comfort, 1 skein
Needles: US #4 for ribbing, US #8 for the rest (dpns)
Changes:Made them pedicure socks and left out the toe!

The second thing I completed was this lovely lace cap.  I ordered all three yarn samplers from Knitpicks.  They come with 6 balls of yarn and patterns for each of the yarns.  Great idea, I thought.  This cap was fairly simple but I did lose track a few times so I had to start putting a safety pin every tenth stitch to keep track.  It was supposed to fit me, but I used the suggested needle size (I need to go up two!) and therefore, it fits Lizzy.  She refuses to wear it so I am gifting it to my friend's baby.

She allowed me to take one picture of her and then I had to hold her hands down for the next...

Very cute, yes?  I will probably make another one with size 9 needles someday, I really like it.  

Pattern: Lace Cap by Knitpicks design team
Yarn: Comfy (cotton and modal, really liked it!)
Needles: US #7 circulars and dpns
Changes:None, but in order for it to fit a grown up, must use bigger needles if you are me (which you're not so don't worry about it)

I'm having some great fun with knitting and trying new things.  Socks had scared me but no biggie-I really like them.  Lace also scared me-the simple stuff I've now done has encouraged me to do more!  Yay knitting!  

Now for the important things...Will got tagged by his friend Maggie.

Eye color: Blue
Hair color: Blonde
Favorite Movie: Toy Story 2
Favorite TV  Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (but actually, Little Einsteins)
Favorite Book: Fairy Tales
Place to go: "Quarium" (aquarium)
Restaurant: Barbacoa (what?)
Fav Food: Chickies (chicken nuggets)
Fav Candy: Suckers
Fav Color: Dark blue and white (BYU) and yellow and green
Fav Toy: Buzz Light"hear" gun
Fav Song: Edelweiss
Fav Game: Write numbers (again, what?)
Fav Cereal: Cap'N Crunch (like father like son)

He tags Luke and Ellie!

6 comments:

Steve said...

I think it is awesome that a little mexican place is Will's favorite restaurant. Truly "like father like son."

The socks and hat are way cool Heid.

Love ya

Steve

Erin said...

I was totally intimidated to do socks too but once I did it I was like, really? That's it? Nice job on expanding your skills.

Suzi said...

Love the hat!!! Can't wait to try that one.

Adam and Bri said...

Ummm, you made pedicure socks? Absolutely genius.

Cloudberry said...

The socks are so cool!
And the hart is adorable!

Evie said...

Heidi, Hey I was trying to see if Jennyanne had a blog but yours came up, it is very cute! And I still think you should start charging people for your marvelous creations!;)

Eve:)