Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ugly and Not Ugly...

This would fall under the category of Ugly.  I went on another knitting retreat this weekend and we learned entrelac.  Glad I learned the skill, now I'm done.  This yarn is actually pretty cool, it's one of the Feza yarns and I made a scarf for my 16 year old niece, McKay, with it. It is a bunch of different yarns all in one ball.  It looks cool as a garter stitch scarf.  It does NOT look cool as an entrelac scarf (which is what this would have been had I not frogged the crap out of it).  Actually, I don't know if I've seen anything done in this technique that looks cool.  Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.   



The retreat was fun and I ate like a pig and finished my alpaca armwarmers for my niece who is turning 12 in a few weeks and just broke BOTH her arms flying over her bicycle handlebars.  Poor girl!  These would fall under the category of Not Ugly.  This is probably my favorite yarn ever.  It's Plymouth Yarn's baby alpaca paint and it is the softest, warmest yarn. These will look great on Megan's newly healed arms!  Will is going to be sad to see them go.  He has put them on a few times to "fight the Huns" on Mulan.  Don't ask why he thinks they're for fighting Huns.  Megan will be glad to know she'll be protected while wearing them!



Last weekend we also took a drive up Farmington Canyon.  Also Not Ugly.  It was 25 miles of dirt road up Farmington and then down Bountiful canyons.  That is a very long distance on a dirt road.  The scenery was amazing.  

Here's a lovely little path...


A lovely little beaver pond...



The Great Salt Lake (apparently air quality wasn't so great in the valley that day)...


Really beautiful flowers...

SO, a great weekend was had by all.  I'm currently working on my "yarn quest", a little game put together by some yarn stores and I have only two to go.  Wish me luck in winning the $450 (worth of yarn) grand prize (yeah, right!).  I drove 100 miles yesterday just to check out a yarn store in Ogden.  OGDEN!  SOO far away but I  found a really adorable yarn store.  



8 comments:

Travis and Marie said...

I love the arm warmer things...the first picture though, I might agree on the not so pretty side...what is it again? it's purpose? I don't think I caught that...but the technique looks challenging so congrats for mastering that.

Steve said...

That drive was awesome even though you thought we were going to drop down a 1000 foot cliff. Next time we do it on 4 wheelers and camp near the beaver pond.

Lova

SSL

Cloudberry said...

The armwarmers are pretty, love the color!I haven't tried entrelac yet, but I really hope I'll do - someday...
I want to knit a pait of mittens in entrelac.
And the entrelac socks by Eunny Jang

Heidelweiss said...

Okay, I was wrong! Hege mentioned the entrelac socks by Eunny Jang. They are fabulous! Of course they are, they're by Eunny Jang.

krista said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
leandparkermakes3 said...

I hope Will didn't mention anything about camping with Ellie by that beaver pond! I think you are amazing at knitting, ugly yarn or not! I am still pondering having you teach me how...

Steve said...

Liz - ponder not. Just do.

Cloudberry said...

Hi, it's me again just telling you that I've given you an award over at my blog :)

Have a great weekend!