Sunday, May 4, 2008

Pink Bags and Baseball Helmets

Hello again.  Nothing very exciting happening around here but I'd like to show a few things I've been working on.  But first, can anyone explain to me how NOT to have a weird seam in hats when you do color work?  I always have a horrible seam in the back of the hat where I start all my new colors.  Even when I just do stripes.    


This is a little bag I made from a book called "Fun and Funky Knitting".  I gave it to my sister in law for her birthday tonight and she love love loved it.  It was very simple to do and I've had it sitting in a bag in pieces for months because I didn't want to sew it together!  I finally did and I love the way it looks.  

Here's the soft drawstring pouch from "Last Minute Knitted Gifts" of which I've become a sort of addict.  I have done half the patterns in that book!  Not quite, but it really does have some great stuff.  I'm giving this to my friend who just had surgery and who I'm sure will appreciate it.  I will only give my knits to a rare few people-I'm sure we all feel that way:)
Finally, here is one of my Lyra Hats (the one I made for myself).  The other day, Will and I were playing baseball in my room and he thought he needed a "baseball helmet" so the ball (which weighed all of 1 oz) didn't hit him in the head.  This hat was the closest thing I could find to a baseball helmet so he wore it and it did a great job protecting him from the dangerous ball!  Doesn't he look dashing?  I also made one of these for a lady in my neighborhood who is undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer.  We had this great party for her where everyone brought a hat or a scarf so she has lots of options for things to wear when her hair falls out.  She loved the hat and wants to make some for her daughters.  
Some day I'm going to figure out how to do links on this thing so I can show people where to find things.  Until then, sorry-I'm a computer idiot!  


7 comments:

Steve said...

heidi - just ask your husband to help you out. i am sure he would be more than happy to show you.

luva

Steve said...

and cool knits as always

Cloudberry said...

Great bags!
And the Lyra hat is great too.
I'm reading the book and have ordered the dvd :) Looking forward to see it.

When knitting color work there will be a seam where the color changes... I think there is a way to prevent it, but I don't know how.

The house is not done yet - I still have the livingroom and the kitchen left....

Have a great week :)

Kara said...

Lyra hats! It is too much. I want to see you in it. I bet you are adorable.

cindave said...

amazing items, as always.

Erin said...

Some tips for helping minimize the "color jogs" with colorwork knitting can be found here:
http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/tips/jogless.htm

LOVE the Lyra hat. I totally want a modeled pic with you in it.

Unknown said...

All I can say is, rad, just awesomely rad!