Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Speaking of all things footballey...

HERE WE GO!


You know when you have the "what the heck...?" expression, after the explanation has already been given, that you're in for it.  I DO NOT understand football.  It is a ridiculous tangle of rules, loudness and whistles.  In my attempt to understand the sport and to support my husband and 3 year old son (season ticket holders for BYU football) I made one last go of "getting" football.  For the last 4 years, BYU (Brigham Young University, my alma mater) has held a women's football clinic.  After attending, I have realized that there is very little that is clinical about it.  In fact, I don't think I learned anything.  I do finally agree with Steve that not ALL football players are "thugs".  These guys were really nice.  We had the opportunity to get autographs and pictures with the coaches and some of their "star" players.  This was exciting for me since I knew Will would be over the moon about having those "cougars" sign his shirt. 

We did some "drills" on the field with the players.  It was absurd.  Fun, but absurd.  I went to the clinic with some friends from my neighborhood and ran into my friend Bri (sister of my favorite knitting duo Erin and Kara and lifelong friend).  She, poor thing, was there in order to write an article on it for her magazine.  We teamed up for the drills and her husband Adam took some awesome pictures of us.  

This, my friends, is what an idiot looks like...



A fool...


And a dork...

The funny thing is, the "clinic" was actually fun.  I made a COMPLETE fool of myself but I had a good time doing it.  The photo that is now the apple of Steve's eye is this one...

That is Bri and me with Bronco (I think that actually IS his real name) Mendenhall, BYU's head coach.  Steve couldn't believe Bronco was there and that I got to meet him.  Isn't that the way it goes?  I didn't really care about meeting BYU's head coach, Steve would have loved to meet him.  There you go.  Anyway, fun times, nothing learned.  Thanks to Breezy for the pictures (I forgot my camera), I'm so glad she was there, she made being a dork so much fun!.  

Grazie tanto to everyone for your advice on the clapotis.  I'm going to forge ahead with it and hope that washing it will make it wearable.  I've decided that if I like it, I'll make it again (yes, multiple knitter) in a softer yarn that I can wear up against my neck.  

13 comments:

CassiLou said...

I wish I had known you and Bri were going to be there. Every year Matt keeps trying o get me to go. My contention was that I didn't have any friends to go with and that I allready really did know football. That sure looks like it was fun.

leandparkermakes3 said...

You are a good sport and a good wife! Now, you need to send Steve to a knitting clinic!

Nicki said...

I'm totally impressed Heidi. Honestly! What a great wife you are!

tiennieknits said...

You know, football is simple really. A team gets 4 chances to move the ball 10 yards. If they do it, then they get another 4 chances and blah blah blah - I really don't get why people gets so worked up over it. :) You are a good wife!

Steve said...

What can I say? You are the best wife ever. The only thing that could make you better is if you finished the “clinic” loving football and now wanted to watch it with us. But that might be, as Liz said, like you expecting me to want to knit with you. Probably a bit much. I was seriously touched as I read your post. You are awesome!

I really want to thank you for being such a great wife and for taking interest in the things that I like. I know that means that sometimes you get dragged to dingy taco stands and that you have to listen to me tell you how my golf swing is improving, but I know that you do it because you love me and you enjoy doing things that you know I enjoy. I can’t tell you how much that means to me. I hope you know that I feel the same way, and that is why sitting around watching P&P and the like with you is one of my favorite things to do (plus Jennifer Ehle is hot - :) ).

I love you so much and have utterly enjoyed the past 8 years. I am looking forward to our cool date tonight - we will do only things that you will love - I promise.

I love you,

Steve

Steve said...

Now before any of you think that I am a jerk for joking around about Jennifer Ehle being hot, ask Heidi about her conversation with Bronco. I think he was trying to give a tiny scratch to her seven year itch. :)

Luva Beb

Kara said...

You guys are soo tough. I wish I could have been there to see it all go down.

cindave said...

that's awesome! i didn't even know they had a football clinic! it looks like fun. i should go someday. but i'd have to have plenty of good friends that i wouldn't mind looking like an idiot in front of!!!

Cloudberry said...

Looks like you had a great time!

Adam and Bri said...

You SAVED me from being the loser girl all by herself. I don't know what I would have done without you!

Also, remember how Bronco totally complimented your haircut? :)

Steve said...

That was the comment I was talking about. I have been bragging that BYU's coach thinks my wife is hot. But then so does everybody.

Chris said...

You are amazing! I am impressed that you would attempt a football clinic. That makes the rest of us look bad. Way to go!!!

Meganopolis said...

Hey Heidi,

Random blog comment here...I've been blog surfing and ran across this. I was at that clinic too! As an official adopted BYU nut by my in-law family and a traitor to my own "Ute" kind, I attended the clinic for second year in a row.

I'm surprised we didn't see each other there! If you ever need some random insight into BYU football to impress Steve out of the blue, I'm your girl.
Megan (Tilt) Grover