Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Jackson!!!

Now tell me that's not beautiful! (It is, I tell you).

Last weekend we went on a family vacation to Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  What an amazing place.  Steve's family goes fairly often but Steve and I haven't been in years.  We stayed at some cabins in a place called Colter Bay.  It was lovely.  SOOO relaxing.  We didn't have any TV, our phones rarely worked (and Steve's conked out completely after Lizzy gave it a bath in the cooler) and we didn't have anything we HAD to do.  We our first full day there we sat along a river by the dam and read, fished, threw rocks, whatever.  It was delightful.  

After we arrived we hung around the town square for awhile and did a bit of shopping (which, by the way, has gotten extremely stupid if anyone was planning on spending any time there) and picture taking...

Will by one of the antler arches


Lizzy doing what she did most of the trip-running from us (did I mention she is a savage?)


Here is a picture of the Lizzard throwing rocks.  She did this for two hours and was angry when we had to leave.  She hit a few people in her efforts to heft and throw the largest rocks she could find.  No worries, everyone remained conscious.  



Here are Steve and Will "fishing".  Will tired of it quickly and the only fishes caught that day were about 4 inches in length!  So much for learning a new skill, Will.  

This was a "road trip", the first road trip we have ever taken with the kids.  They did amazingly well.  We now have a TV in our car so I'm pretty certain that is what got us through.  There may have been a mutiny had Disney movies not been along for the ride.  

We took a little side trip to Yellowstone.  It was amazing.  I haven't been there in probably 14 years.  Mental!  Our first stop was at Old (not quite as) Faithful.  This thing is amazing.  Even though it doesn't erupt as often or as "faithfully" as it used to, they have a pretty good idea of when it will.  They're only off by 10 minutes or so.  We even got splashed with some of its stinky water!  


We then continued our drive of the "grand loop" (I think that's what it's called) and saw some more hot pots and some amazing waterfalls (Yellowstone and Jackson have to be the waterfalliest places in the entire world).  I was amazed at how many different languages we heard while in Yellowstone.  I forget that people come from all over the world to see this place.  I suppose, after being there again, that its beauty is very unique and awe inspiring.  



This is some waterfall in Yellowstone.  I stopped keeping track of names.  It was so great to go back there and see all the natural beauty.  The last time I was there we were on a family "test" vacation with some of our good friends (it worked out, we're all still friends and it was a test vacation because we needed to see if we could handle a longer vacation together.  All in one 15 passenger van.  Why our parents thought that sounded great is beyond me but it really was!) and were chased by an attack squirrel walking around Old Faithful (remember guys?)  Good times.  

So, on the knitting front, I totally thought I would knit on this trip but I read instead (probably a good thing because I think I may now be illiterate.  I haven't read a book in a LONG time and I'm in two book clubs (obviously the idiot of both)). Yesterday at The Tuesday Night Knitting Club I picked up the clapotis again and charged forward.  Good thing my co-president was there there to help me through dropping my first stitch.  It totally worked and the yarn looks amazing.  Thanks again, Kara.  Woo hoo!

I know,  it's a totally crap picture but it really is so lovely how the yarn makes this sort of rainbow when the stitch is dropped.  It's gonna itch the heck out of me but boy am I going to look fiiiine wearing it ;)  

The End.


14 comments:

Kara said...

Looks like your trip was amazing. I love that something as simple as throwing rocks were able to keep the kids entertained for so long.

Clapotis is looking oh so fiiiiiine.

Steve said...

You look FIIIINE no matter what you wear.

I echo the Jackson sentiments. Awesome trip!

cindave said...

AMEN - jackson rules! your dad posed the question of what was more fun - jackson or the cruise. i admit that i TOTALLY stopped to think. jackson was much more relaxing, and andersen was more than happy to just throw rocks in the river for HOURS (whereas he was not happy to do anything for hours on the cruise - except sit in the waves, but that only took care of one day!), it was cheaper...a tough question. anyway, we had a great time. thanks lintons all around!

cindave said...

oh yeah, your knitting looks beautiful, and i don't appreciate you comparing my kid to the elephant man!!! :)

Erin said...

Oh the Yellowstone memories...

Looks like you had an awesome trip. And your clapotis is going to be AMAzing.

Adam and Bri said...

I remember Yellowstone! I miss the Hallstrom-Bendixen voyages.

Glad you had a great time!

tiennieknits said...

I love Jackson Hole and Yellowstone! The clapotis is looking good!

Nicki said...

What a fun trip! My brother in law has a family cabin in Yellowstone (or near it?) and we've been dying to make time for a trip there and the surrounding areas! Can't wait!

Cloudberry said...

Looks like a great trip!
I have an award for you :)

amanda said...

i love colter bay. i'm so jealous. (sigh.)

Melanie said...

Heidi cute pics. Your kids were so funny the other night. I can't get over it. I told you about this etsy artist I think you will like, the link to her blog is kellyraeroberts.blogspot.com you can get to her shop and see all her stuff through her blog. enjoy!
Melanie

marit said...

It looks as a great trip, and you have some adorable kids:-)
Great knitting too.

Travis and Marie said...

how much fun is no cell phones and no tv? I am envious that you got to do some good relaxing. I love Jackson and it's been forever since we've been. It sounds like it was a great trip!

Anonymous said...

Love your pictures, and your kids!! :) I'm not the only one traveling, I see..

I've been spending lots of time with friends lately, and I love it! Winter will be upon us soon enough, so I rather do a lot of stuff now that the days are light, and warm enough to go hiking with out to much clothes on ;)

Have a nice weekend all of you!