Monday, March 2, 2009

The Naughtiest Dog in the Land

This is Boo. Arthur Boo Radley, to be precise. He is NOT a hero. In fact, this 11 year old Chocolate Labrador is closer to an angel of death.  Don't get me wrong.  I love this dog and have loved him since his puppyhood.  He has been sweet and kind and is WONDERFUL with our kids.  He's never bitten anyone and never would.  It's just that he has a naughty streak 10 miles long.  I could write a book on his horrid behavior (actually, our Newfoundland isn't great in that area either.  Do I see a pattern?), but then I'd be copying "Marly and Me" and it just wouldn't do.  



His exploits of two days ago were the worst in the history of Boo (please believe me when I tell you that this is saying something).  As I was leaving the house to go to physical therapy (in a rush, tying the kids shoes, getting them off to a sitter...), I heard the horrid clicking of a gas stove trying to light.  I wondered what in the world could be going on?  Was there a ghost in the house?  A killer?

As soon as my mind righted itself, I stood bolt upright and yelled, "whose been playing with the stove!?"  Silence.  I ran into the kitchen to find the remains of Will's birthday cake in flames.  Boo is hovering very near.  I immediately turned off the burner and quickly surveyed the damage.  Not too bad so far but those flames were moving like they had a plane to catch!  The profanity that escaped my lips is too offensive to write.  It was enough that Will screamed, "what's happened?"  Whereupon I screamed, "there's a fire!!!!"  Note to self: do not yell "there's a fire" ever again.  

Here the action begins and takes place within about 2 minutes.  Will is screaming, "Oh, this is bad!  Call the fire department!!!!"  Lizzy is crying.  I'm thinking, "what do I do with this flaming cake?"  I yelled the kids out of the kitchen and decided picking up the cake was the best option as the fire extinguisher MIGHT not work and the flames were growing SO fast.  I ran across the kitchen and out the back door where I slammed the cake down on the back porch (made of Trex and supposedly not flammable.  It worked in my favor).  I sprinted back inside, grabbed cups of water and started pouring them all over the stove.  When I was satisfied that nothing was going to re light itself and that no bits of cardboard from the box had hovered over to the rugs/drapes/children I took a look outside.  

Again, profanity.  The box was now 3 feet high in flames and altogether too close to my house.  The sprinting restarted and soon enough the trusty cups of water have doused those flames as well.  

Look at those crazy eyes!  He wouldn't even be good for a picture.  Naughty, naughty dog ;). 



Here's the stupid cake box.  If I'd followed the instructions to "ke efrigerated" none of this would have happened.  The horrid thing is, I know this is the universe trying to tell me to stop eating cake.  I had some this very morning for breakfast.  I complain about my butt and then eat birthday cake for breakfast?  Not anymore.  Who knows what will happen next time I try.


The burner left a lovely brand on the bottom of the box.  I DO NOT know how that rug didn't catch fire!  


Tell all of your domesticated animals that they don't need to resort to such tomfoolery if they want a piece of cake.  Also, some childproofing may have helped in this circumstance.  Never needed it for the kids ;).  



Now look at that face.  Is that the face of a killer?  I thought not.  He tries (about once a week) to be good but he just has this rotten soul.  It's not his fault.  I know we raised him to be a horrid cake theif.  I'm only glad we didn't pay the ultimate price for our negligence.  Well come on, it's not like he's a Menendez!  



Here's the worst part.  As I was running back and forth putting out the flames on the box, Boo got exactly what he wanted.  That's his face print in the cake!



18 comments:

marit said...

Ah, yes, perhaps a cage would be appropriate...
That was a horrible scare! So glad you managed to put it out! How are the kids doing?

heidi larsen said...

i am so glad that it wasn't worse. that must have been so scary!

Steve said...

Between this and the dining room table fiasco of '08, I would fairly happily send Boo to a glue factory.

cindave said...

wow. WOW. that is a horribly terrifying story!!! what if you hadn't heard that clicking and checked it out before you left? i'm sure you appreciate me pointing that out to you, although i'm sure you've thought of it yourself. i'm so glad it wasn't worse and that everyone is ok. rotten soul to be sure! :)

Rod Linton said...

Heidi----a word to the wise. Next time forget the glasses of water and try a pitcher instead.. it will be much more efficient. And that dog remember did our backyard in to the tune of a $11000.00 re-landscape job after he totally destroyed our turf and ground with his giant paws and claws, but that would be nothing to his being an arsonist canine and torching your whole house. Glad you didn't leave and all turned out ok except for the cake. A small price to pay, right?

cindave said...

"Let him eat cake"

Cloudia said...

This is the greatest post I've seen in a while - and I read cool blogs. Wow, on SO many levels - and look at that FACE!
My cat, now that's another story.
Aloha H. W.

tiennieknits said...

I am so happy to see that you're all OK and your home is OK too! Naughty naughty naughty dog!

Cloudberry said...

What a nauhty dog you have :)
Next time, just let him get the rest of the cake. Save you from eating cake for breakfast ;)

There is an award for you in my blog :)

CelticCastOn said...

ahh yes, I seem to have his devilish duo right here with me!! I swear he just tries to kill me with heart attacls daily!!!
Glad you got the fire out and nothing else was harmed. After all that work the little bugger still got his cake heehe

Erin said...

You have GOT to be kidding me with this story. Only your dog would light a birthday cake on fire.

Travis and Marie said...

I'm pretty sure that's the most hilarious thing I've read today. What a rotten little dog....we have 2 - about the same size, but they aren't allowed inside. ;)

Stacey said...

I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but I'm laughing!! What a day!!

Sepiru Chris said...

Heidelweiss,

Utterly fantastic.

And now I also want to know about the dining room table fiasco of '08.

After reading the whole post, Pommes wanted me to scroll up to the top.

He is perplexed why Boo is not a hero. Pommes is convinced that this is complete hero behaviour and has been meaningfully eying the burners.

How does one Hero or Boo or childproof burners?

Tschuess,
Chris

Anonymous said...

Ups, BAD dog, but cute though.. :)

Oh, and thanks for leaving such nice comments on my blog. I have to stop ignoring my blog friends soon, or they'll start ignoring me, I think..

(Steve: glue factory? That's not very nice..! And I agree with Chris, we want to know about the dining room fiasco of '08)

Steve said...

If he was your dog, you would get the glue factory thing.

OK - it's not true. Boo has been my best buddy since before Heidi and I got married.

Oh but he can be naughty. He is more like what the Finch kids thought Boo Radley was before he saved Scout's life. When naming him, I erroneously hoped that he would be more like Boo at the end of the book. :)

As for the dining room table (it involves him trying to get food again), the damn dog climbed up on our dining room table (well propped his paws and claws up on the table is a better description) to get to some Christmas candy. Suffice to say that we will have to return the table to Stickley and get it refinished because of Boo's claw prints.

Glue factory!

Coulio said...

That is a wicked awesome story! Glad it all turned out for the best. My favorite is how easy it is to picture you running and swearing.

Shannon said...

It sounds like you handled the whole affair with remarkable aplomb. Good job!