Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas Insanity!


We had a wonderful Christmas, as, I hope, did all of my friends in Blogland.  I LOVE this season's constant stream of parties, food, and general "togetherness".  There's never a lack of something to do.  We had festivities from the beginning of December until Boxing Day (aka the Feast of Stephen).  Steve loves having a plan for the Feast of Stephen as a way of extending Christmas.  

I knit myself into a frenzy but forgot to take ONE picture.  Yes, I am the newly crowned Queen of the Idiots.  I shall get pictures shortly and update soon.  Since the camera is always in the diaper bag (must be prepared), I have just a few Christmas festivities to write about...

The first is my extended family's annual Christmas party (mom's side).  I have a bit of a love/hate with this party as most of my family members on this side are fabbity fab but some are incredibly odds bodkins (as extended families tend to get).  I will NEVER say which are which but there we are ;).  Example (which is going to give things away): an entire branch of this family tree went on strike this year and didn't show up.  What?! 

The below pic is of the littles singing Jingle Bells.  Very higgeldy piggeldy but very  cute nonetheless.  They were each given a jingle bell for the song and later turned said jingle bells into weapons, as you do.  


We have a pinata at this party every year.  Pinatas cause a crazed frenzy.  Anytime you give a child a stick and tell him to beat something until candy falls out, you will create armageddon.  Oddly, this activity is usually kept pretty well under control and we have not had a child broken or stitched to this date. Where is some wood?

Here is the Lizzard with a savage gleam in her eye.  I feel certain she was seeking out a child to hit.



And now Will, bound and determined to smash the poor snowman to bits until he offered up his candy stuffing.  




Our next party is our annual Linton Family Christmas Bash held at Steve's parent's house.  This has become such a fun tradition.  We have appetizers, a cookie exchange, and an insane talent show in the basement (think Dan in Real Life).  It's all very wonderful.  Will insisted on singing two songs and I felt the tiniest bit like Mr. Bennett telling Mary to "give the other girls a chance to exhibit".  Oh well, he was humored and remains one of the cutest children in existence ;).  This picture is of him singing Jingle Bells very off key.




Lizzy loves nothing more than to dance.  Her favorite song in the world is the Hot Dog song from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (she asks me to sing it to her before bed).  For her talent, we set up a CD player and let her fly.  She was a dancing fool and there was never a happier girl.  She mainly stomps her feet and flaps her arms like a chicken but it cracks us up and was absolutely perfect.




So here we are at Christmas morning.  For many months Will has asked for nothing but a Buzz Lightyear and and Emperor Zurg.  These he got.  Simple pleasures.  Lizzy also got a Buzz and a Woody since she loves him with all her heart.  Now, being the smart mom that I am and knowing that children two years apart are interested in the same toys, I got Will a Woody too.  We got the two Woodys at separate times and from different places.  Will's talks, Lizzy's does not.  Yes, Lizzy noticed.  She's not particularly fond of her Woody and usually plays with Will's.  Ahh, well.  You can't win 'em all.  

 



As I said, we had an absolutely fabulous Christmas this year. Kids make Christmas so much more fun for us. They have brought the magic back. I love having little people in the house who fully believe that a man is coming down the chimney to bring them toys and that if they're good enough, they'll get what they asked for. I only hope they never ask for something I can't (or won't) get them. Like another kid, or another dog ;).

Coming soon, Christmas knits (yes, this is still a knitting blog, I swear!), and my gift to Steve (it was really cool).

19 comments:

Steve said...

Saying that your gift to me was "really cool" is the quintessential understatement. It was utterly awesome.

Thanks for such a fun Christmas.

Love you.

cindave said...

ok, your picture of lizzy dancing is awesome! i also love her tongue hanging out in concentration as she's getting ready to beat the pinata. and i can't get enough of your clever writing, ie - "Will, bound and determined to smash the poor snowman to bits until it gave up his candy stuffing" or something like that. you're hilarious. i've always said so. :)

Adam and Bri said...

Lizzy is a dancing machine! I love it.

Glad you had a fab Christmas. Love ya, Heid!

Anonymous said...

Your Christmas looks like so much fun! My Christmas was fun too. Most of it was spent eating and watching TV (which is rather fun, if you think about it) ;)

Best wishes for the New Year!!

marit said...

You have the cutest kids!!!
Sounds like a very nice Christmas;) Hope the rest of it will be just as good, and wishing you all the best for the new year!

Rod Linton said...

You're absolutely right Heidi--kids do make Christmas fun especially when they bring their kids home and you get to enjoy little ones all over again. Joy in your posterity is not an idle statement.

Kara said...

They are darling! Sounds like you guys had an amazing Christmas!

Nicki said...

You know... if you don't mind the Christmas insanity, it's a wonder to me why you don't just throw one more thing into December and send out a nice Heidi-esque Christmas card and letter. You could definitely sum up the whole year in your perspective and heidi-isms and have us rolling on the floor in laughter!! So, how bout it... 2009?

tiennieknits said...

Happy holidays to you!

Julie said...

First off, now you have me totally curious as to what you made Steve???? Knitted Skivvy's???? That's hot! Although, it might hurt if they were made with the batch of ITCHY yarn you bought!:)
What cute cute pictures! And I absolutely love reading your posts just because of how colorful they are! I know we speak the same language and I LOVE it! Looks like you guys had an amazing Christmas!

leandparkermakes3 said...

I love Lizzy dancing, and Will singing for that matter. Love those kids.

heidi larsen said...

it looks like your Christmas was wonderful! i too, love the hot dog song.

Travis and Marie said...

I love the Micky Mouse clubhouse song ---hot dog hot dog hot diggity dog...so cute. What fun you had! I love having kids too, it's more fun for me being on this side of Christmas...I get something and then can hardly stand it to wait until Christmas morning to see the wee little ones react. :)

Cloudberry said...

Looks like you had a wonderful christmas!
Endre loves Mickey Mouse clubhouse too ;)

AMIT said...

Wish u have a good New Year too.
BPO work from home

erica said...

looks like you guys had a real good christmas! you guys are such a cute family.

Sepiru Chris said...

Heidelweiss,

For those of us without knowledge of the Hot Dog Song, what about a concatenated song (Will and you?) and dance (Lizzy) video number for a posting?

Cheers,
Chris

Anonymous said...

To answer you question(?): most of it was done before I got the bandage on, and since then the finger has just kind of been hanging there.. So I can do what I like to (now that it doesn't hurt any more), as long as the finger is not in conflict with any of it (you should see me doing the dishes, or taking a shower.. *lol*)

It does hurt if I get to eager though, so I have to keep myself from going on all day.. ;)

Anonymous said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Happy New Year!