Thursday, October 30, 2008

Two FO's and the Most Hilarious Phobia Imaginable...

Steve's secretary just had a baby so I, of course, had to knit her something.  I actually threatened not to because they wouldn't find out the sex until she was born (I have no patience for these ancient rituals ;), but I relented in the end.  I've decided to make baby mittens with my insane amounts of sock yarn that I can't seem to stop buying so here are Miss Ivy's little mittens...


Pattern: Malin's Mitts
Yarn: My Bootee (local yarn company)
Needles: US  47" size #3 (love me some magic loop)
Made for: Little Miss Ivy

I had what looked like "tons" of this sock yarn left so I thought "hmmm, wouldn't it be cute if Erica (Ivy's mom) had matchy matchy fingerless mitts in the same yarn".  So off I go a knittin' and barely had enough to finish Erica's mitts let alone do an i-cord for Ivy's.  Sorry Ivy, if one of these falls off, you are OUT OF LUCK ;)

Here are Erica's...



Pattern: My Bootee Arm Warmers
Yarn: My Bootee
Needles: US 47" size #4
Made For: Erika

Here they are, matchy matchy, mitts squared (they're MFEO)...


Cute, huh?  And no, I do NOT expect Erica and Ivy to wear them together.  I'm not THAT nerdy!  But I do expect them to have professional pictures taken in them ;). 

Okay, here comes a confession.  I may lose some blog readers over this one!  I have this hilarious phobia for which I get made fun of all the time.  I know of only a few people that have it including my mom and one of my sisters and a couple of friends.  I'm telling you this so you know I'm not completely crazy ;).  It's called "cluster" phobia or, as I found out last night, the technical term is trypophobia.  It's a real thing!  It's this revulsion for clusters of holes.  For some people it's an actual fear but for me, and any of the people I know who have it, these things just MAKE OUR SKIN CRAWL.  Beyond the clusters, I have an aversion to the sight of any odd texture or cluster.
 
Here's an example...If I'm making mac and cheese for my kids and all the stupid noodles are facing me, hole side up, it makes me sick and I have to mix it up really fast to destroy the pattern!  

Also; fish scales, the backsides on the chickens in the movie Chicken Run, skin cells under a microscope, hair follicles under a microscope, WOOL under a microscope, mushrooms growing in my grass, beehives, spores on the underside of ferns, bundles of pipes on a truck bed...the list is infinite.  They all make me crazy!  

I'm in fits of laughter just writing about this.  I had to post about this because I was talking to my friend last night and she thought I was nuts and that I should look it up-so I did.  Apparently, it's some form of obsessive compulsive disorder and for some people it gets so bad that they have to be on medication.  When I was reading about it last night I was crying I was laughing so hard.  There are so many people grossed out by the same things as me but also people who have nightmares about clusters getting imbedded in their skin.  Now I want to puke.  

For your viewing pleasure (and so you can gain a full appreciation for my phobia), I thought I'd include a few pictures of some things that gross me out.  Beware, if you have trypophobia you'll hate my guts forever for this.

This is the mildest...



Now we're getting worse...





COME ON!!!!!!!



WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO EXIST?  No good can come of this.  Only more hideous frogs who have babies out of their backs.  What do you think is left after these eggs come off?  I'll tell you.  Holes.  Some people keep these as pets.  Come now, pets?  Honestly.  Well, there is your ride down Insanity Lane for the day.  I hope you enjoyed it!

Great, now I have these hideous pictures on my blog for all eternity!


18 comments:

cindave said...

i DID enjoy it! even though i know about your cluster phobia, it was still awesome to read about. did you find a support group in your research?

Kara said...

You are a complete and utter nutter! But I love you for it.

The mommy and me mitts are just too cute.

amanda said...

funny that you chose that wall paper for your blog...it's full of holes!

Heidelweiss said...

touche!

heidi larsen said...

i have that same phobia. my skin is absolutely crawling. my husband has it too. eek!

the first picture is actually not gross at all to me, the second one not too bad, the last picture- the definition of disgusting.

i want some of your knitted creations. you are awesome! so cute. lucky people to receive your stuff!

you should totally come to our halloween party next year. soooo fun! thanks for your comment.!

Chris said...

Your "knits" are adorable. What a lucky secretary to get those. It almost makes me want to have a baby to get some. Oh wash my mouth out with soap! Also, you inherited the phobia from your mom. She is hilarious when it comes to clusters.

Amanda Parry said...

Okay-I has not heard of this phobia before I read this, but I think I have it now! That frog picture is possibly the worst thing I have ever seen.

Anonymous said...

Nice knitting.. The phobia got me interested. I'm not grossed out at all. Actually it makes me wanna look up that frog and find out more about it.. *lol* (I'm a teacher, what can I say?)

Nicki said...

Heidi, you are hilarious! I am puking my guts out right now! I asked Cory if he remembers your phobia and he said, "Yeah, she hates beehives and pipes from the back of a truck!" I can't believe he remembers!

I have had this phobia ever since my first biology class. The cluster images are burned into my memory forever!

But the worst for me... when our fish had "dropsy". If you have this phobia, DO NOT LOOK UP DROPSY! I still get weak in the knees just thinking about it! I have to go throw up now!

Erin said...

You are totally nuts. But the funny good kind. LOVE the matching knits.

Coulio said...

SICK! One time I was at a party and we had to submit something interesting for our name tags. I told them about the cluster thing (didn't know it had a name) My tag said Hello My Name is ...Jen...I have Clusterphobia

Rachel said...

Okay Heidi, I saw your blog from my Mom's when I was fixing hers and I think you are hilarious! I love the clutter phobia! That one of the turtle, even without the phobia, is yuck so I can imagine how bad it drives you nuts! And I love your arm warmers and those mittens are adorable! You are so stinkin talented!

Travis and Marie said...

you are definately a freak. I don't quite understand the phobia...but I don't understand much of anything lately. I'm too tired. the mittens are stinkin cute...and I love your way with words.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't the wallpaper on your blog bother you? I've never heard of that phobia before,but I'm glad I don't have it! I'm obsessive compulsive enough as I am!

Cute knits!

rachael said...

You need to change your blog background so you don't make yourself sick! It is certainly causing part of your issues!

Rod Linton said...

Yap Heidi we always knew you were nuts. But the frog kind of grosses me out as well. At first I couldn't even tell what the heck it was. It's the slimy part however.

Travis and Marie said...

I love your soapbox...and yes I remember checks and balances, but it still sucks...glad you got a good laugh at my emotional crackheadedness....I don't think that's a word...oh well. :)

Unknown said...

I have the same phobia and learned about that frog in like jr. high and have been so thoroughly disgusted by it ever since. honestly, I DO hate you (and love you) for posting this! lol...