Thursday, May 14, 2009

I thought I could, I thought I could...

Prepare yourselves for what you are about to see. Your opinion of me is about to change   

FOR. E. VER

I am going to show you the before and after pictures of my "secret shame". Some of you commented in my last post that everyone has a "secret shame" and not to worry about it. I doubt you will argue with me that any of you have a "secret shame" as shameful as this...





I ask you; what kind of person lives like this?  A pig.  Not even a person.  A pig who lives in a pig pen.  I was just a-chuckin' stuff all about the place.  No rhyme or reason, no place for anything to go.  Just take it off and chuck it down.  Come now!  That is shameful!  


And just look at this festering swine hole if you will.  Are you kidding?!  This is RIDICULOUS!  Nay, ridonculous!  


And this!  I even attempted some sort of bin system here which obviously did NOT work for me.  I cannot believe I'm putting these pictures on here.  I seem to have lost a number of readers already.  What is this going to do to me?  Well, this is my punishment for being such a slob.  It's my flogging if you will.  My hairshirt and my celise belt.  I will do the time, for I committed the crime.  OH how I committed the crime!  

So when people walk into my house they say, "your house is always clean!  Is it really like this all the time?"  And I answer that it is IN THE MAIN PART of the house.  The rooms and closets have always been a fiasco.  I keep things clean but there is always clutter of some sort around.  I make the beds and clean the bathrooms but there are about 50 million piles of books, and odd socks, and toys, and clean piles of laundry.  I don't know what it is with me.  I'm like a little rodent.  I stuff things in closets and cupboards and corners.  

Well, it all started to get to me a few months ago and I called in a professional organizer to do my pantry.  She literally changed my life.  I know, it sounds dramatic but honestly, this woman made it approachable.  So I've been systematically going from room to room and organizing EVERYTHING just exactly the way she taught me.  It is a PAIN in the RUMPUS!  However, my pantry has stayed exactly the same as the day she did it for 6 months and that is really saying something for me.  Obviously she knows what she's doing.  I'm only going to post the before and after pictures of my "secret shame" because it is the most dramatic.  It was the most shameful and therefore had the most dramatic outcome.  Here are the glorious after shots...

This is the best view I could get of the whole closet.  The dvd on the floor is "Girls Just Want to Have Fun".  I cannot take a perfect picture to save my life.  Lizzy chucked that in there and I didn't notice until the photo shoot was over.  I'm can't be bothered to redo it ;).  The large bins up top contain things like pajamas, sweats, swim wear, bags, sweaters, etc.  They're perfect!


This picture is showcasing the fact that I'm actually using that bottom rod!  What a novel idea!


The above is a smattering of shoes.  Yes, just a smattering.  I have a small problem ;).  It has helped me immensely to put them in clear boxes with labels such as "heels", "athletic", "sandals" etc.  No dusty shoes, no smashed shoes.  Brilliant!

Now look at the brilliant use of those shelves!  I'm so proud of those!  My gym bag and swimming gear is at the bottom and more shoes going up.  Lovely.  


And my last and loveliest shot :).  The perfectly clean shelves.  Also, I added the little hooks you see on the right for things like a robe or a hat or bag I'm using often.  They're those lovely 3M ones that you can remove by pulling that tab and they don't take off your paint or anything.  I tried.  

So, yes I'm a pig.  I can admit it now.  I may have failed my 12 step program with fingerless gloves but I stuck with it for organizing.  I've become a woman possessed.  I've done the kids toys, my closet, the mud room, Lizzy's room and just today finished Will's room (that one was a bugger!).  I'm moving like a house on fire!  

12 comments:

Travis and Marie said...

I am jealous....we all have cluttered closets, drawers we shove stuff into....at least you got an organizer and learned how to do it right....your closet looks amazing! you rule...and I love that you said for.e.ver - I love the movie.

Heidelweiss said...

It is one of the best movies of all time. It reminds me of the best times of being a kid. Happiness always :).

Steve said...

you are awesome toots

Diane said...

So now that you are finished with your home, how about coming over and helping me organize mine? I am especially curious on how she organized your pantry--that is always a tricky one! I think you are a wee bit too hard on yourself--BUT your 'after' pictures were amazing. Inspiring post, Heidi!

Adam and Bri said...

i need a professional organizer stat! your after pictures are magical. just magical.

Julie said...

Wow! I am so impressed! And you DID IT! That is all that matters! I am totally like that! The outer part of my home is usually pretty clean, but enter into my drawers and closets and it's a DISASTER! You have inspired me!! Way to go!.....p.s. Long live Adam Lambert! ;)

Steve said...

Lambert estinks

marit said...

WOW!!! I'm jealous! I want someone to organize me! Please come and help me!!!

tiennieknits said...

Look at that organization! No longer your secret shame. :)

Unknown said...

That's amazing!!! I am so impressed with the dramatic (sorry for the lingo), but it's truly dramatic and looks FAB!!! You must feel so good. Hhhmm, now can you help me with mine?

Sepiru Chris said...

Dear Heidelweiss,

Our version of cleaning is leaving the country.

And an modern archeology dig site for the movers.

Of course, when the movers unpack the detritus I sometimes have to shrug in disbelief and wonder.

And then when they ask me where it should go... the dump is usually a good bet.

Good for you. We always have high hopes.

They last up to a week.

Of course, variable apartment sizes (usually smaller and smaller) for ever increasing mounds of stuff doesn't help.

Burning 5 or 6 thousand cds to the computer and putting the originals into storage certainly was beneficial for getting some order back, though...

Tschuess,
Chris

PS. Is that back getting better yet? Hope so, for your sake.

jenjamin said...

My closet is worse than yours... I will prove it :)