Friday, September 12, 2008

CHOCOLATE!

Last month Steve took me on the worlds best date.  Our anniversary is August 4, we've been married 8 years and we celebrated in style.  Steve is the self proclaimed "Captain Surpriso" because he likes to come up with amazing surprises for people.  Also, he's really good at keeping secrets.  

Here's what we did.  First, we went to a great day spa and got massages.  Really great hour long full body massages.  It was so wonderful.  Then we went to our fave restaurant Cucina Toscana.  Oh this restaurant!  This was enough for me.  A massage and then my favorite food.  But then came Steve's crowning achievement for the night-we went to a chocolate tasting class.  


(the one's on the right are the delights of the amazing Chris Blue)


A local Italian market (Caputo's) does a beginner and then an advanced chocolate tasting class.  We were seated at tables with bowls of bread and room temperature water (cleansing the palate, you know).  Then we were taught about the beans used for bad and good chocolate, where they're grown, how they're processed, yada yada yada.  Then we sampled chocolates from worst to best.  The worst being Hershey's (ya think!) and the best being from a chocolate maker called Amadei.  They're an Italian company who is taking over the chocolate world from the French.  The second best is a maker called Amano and guess where they're from?  That's right-Provo, Utah.  What!?  Who would have thought?  Also, we learned about the best maker of filled chocolates, Chris Blue.  Guess where he's from.  You guessed it, Orem, Utah.  

So, last night was the advanced class.  It was so fun.  We tasted all the best chocolate ever invented and Art Pollard (owner, inventor, whatever, of Amano) and Chris Blue were there.  It was fantastic.  

Chris Blue was the head chocolatier for Charlie Trotter's and is in negotiations to be the next chocolatier for French Laundry in California.  These are two of the best restaurants in the country.  His chocolates are amazing.  

As for Amano... If you can believe this, there is actually such a thing called the Academy of Chocolate in London.  They are the officials of the chocolate world.  If you win an award from the Academy of Chocolate, you officially have the best chocolate in the world.  They give gold, silver and bronze medals to chocolates.  It's like the chocolate Olympics.  While Amadei is sort of the gold standard now, Amano (our little Utah operation) won bronze the first year they entered and are expected to do better in coming years!  YAY UTAH!  

So, being the nerd that I am, I had to get pictures with my chocolate hero's.  I was the only one to do this.  Like I said, nerd.  



This is Art Pollard, the genius chocolate man.  He was so nice and unassuming.  He is a former Physics guy from BYU so he said he puts his scientific brain to work in chocolate making.  His website is amanochocolate.com





This is Chris Blue.  Are you noticing anything in these pictures?  Yes, I am a giant.  Oh well, freakishly tall is good, right?  Chris Blue was also very nice and I'm so psyched that he didn't make too much fun of me when I asked for a picture (the Caputo's did, however).  His site is chocolatierblue.com

Thank you, Steve, for such an amazing time and for being Captain Surpriso.  You are the best!  I love you so stinkin' much.    

Keep your eyes out for chocolate bars by Amano and for filled chocolates by Chocolatier Blue.  They, along with most of the Amadei bars, are amazing.  You should be able to find them (maybe not Blue, he's pretty snidey about where he'll sell them as of yet) in any gourmet market.  GET LOOKIN'!  

I hope I have inspired the chocolate monster in all of you (or at least haven't bored you to sobs).  I promise knitting in my next post because I'm going on a trip dedicated solely to knitting and eating.  Denver, here we come!  Are we excited Erin and Kara?

12 comments:

Steve said...

I love you too, Heid. Thanks for being nerdy enough to go with me on fun dates like this. Several of my friends said, "you are doing what?" I thought it was awesome.

The next beginners class at Caputo's is December 11 and Chris Blue will be attending that class is well (http://www.caputosdeli.com/cookingclass/). I would suggest that everyone go. If he makes the hot chocolate that he made last night, it is worth the price of admission by itself.

Love you Heid.

Steve

Erin said...

You guys make me sick. Well, not really sick--more like really really jealous. But I love you both.

Um...4 hours and counting until our weekend begins!!!

leandparkermakes3 said...

Steve wins the award for most creative anniversary date ever! How fun! I can't wait to try the chocolate class! So fun! Have an amazing trip to Denver!

Nicki said...

Oh, that Steve! He's too much!

tiennieknits said...

It's sounds wonderful! What a great hubby! I love that he left a comment too. :)

Unknown said...

A post that has chocolate, BYU and London - my favorite things! You win!

Kara said...

I am so there next time. This is awesome! Steve this is awesome, don't let anyone tell you different.

Travis and Marie said...

what fun! I would love to be a chocolate taster. Happy anniversary.

krista said...

I found your blog a couple of days ago and have been secretly enjoying it since then. You're so funny and the way you write reminds me so much of the stories and dramatics of London. Oh, and do you do custom knitting? Because it's great! I want to have everything you've made.

Coulio said...

Only smart people love chocolate and take pictures with chocolatiers (sp?). Yes! I need to knit. My goal is to join you by the end of this month or beginning of next. No excuses! I will call you.

Adam and Bri said...

Hey! That Art Pollard guy was in Utah Valley Magazine. His chocolate is delish.

Happy Anniversary, you guys!

jenjamin said...

Heidi you look adorable and very happy. Happy anniversary!