Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fit as Fiddles


I always intended to raise my kids to be interested in physical activity and exercise. Obviously the most important way to do this, as a parent, is by example. I've always been interested in exercise and nutrition and have done races in some form or other since I was a teenager. There's something so exciting and positive in a race atmosphere. Everyone is there for the same purpose; to stay fit and compete in a positive way.

Recently Steve and I did Slam the Dam in Lake Mead. We did this race last year when Steve was very very sick (he emptied 4.7 million oz. of phlegm into the lake). Our times weren't stellar but I was really proud because of how sick Steve was and that he finished his first open water race regardless of this.

This year Steve tore his ACL two months before the race. Honestly. His doctor didn't know if he'd be ready to do a race so soon after his surgery. He was verboten from entering the water on his own (people get a little crazy on entry and he didn't want him knocked over) and he had to be very careful with his kick in case of re injury.

In addition to Steve's drama, I had a little ambulance ride and a stay in the emergency room about a month before the race due to anaphylactic shock brought on by some herbs I took. So lame. It derailed my training quite a bit as I kept having symptoms for a week until the herbs were completely out of my system.

Long story (slightly) short, both finished the race. Huzzah! Steve beat his time from last year by 8 minutes and I beat mine by 4. Still not fabbity fab but it was defo an improvement and we're vair vair and thrice vair happy.

We forgot to take any pictures of the race so the above is one lifted from the Slam the Dam website. I want to thank my dad for rowing for us to keep us safe. He was my original example of staying fit and has participated in many of the same races as me as well as rowing in this one for us. Go dad!

Will has been asking us all year if he can run in a race. This summer was a bit of a fiasco because of Steve's knee. I don't really run anymore because of a back injury. However, since he wanted it so badly, we knew we'd have to find a way to do it.

We found the SoJo Marathon and Half Marathon which had a kids race (1/2 mile!) and knew we'd found our race ;). Will was so excited and Lizzy decided she wanted to race too. I wasn't too keen on Lizzy racing because she tends to cry when she does something she thinks is hard and she's mildly (read: huge understatement) lazy. Whatevs. We signed them both up the night before the race.

Race morning was very exciting. They got their best running clothes and shoes on and we headed out to the park. Will was very nervous because he "thought he would do something wrong" and Lizzy promised not to cry ;).



Walking across the parking lot to the race start


Getting out pre-race nerves...


At the start. I know I'm partial but how cute are these two?!


AND THEY'RE OFF!

They both took off like shots. It was so cute. The excitement was palpable. At about the halfway mark, they both got winded and said their "hearts hurt". The drama with these two is a bit over the top. I tried to keep them positive by telling them we were almost there and then we rounded a corner where people were cheering and they knew they could finish. When we saw Steve and my dad cheering us on, they took of like the wind again and rounded the corner to the finish.


After passing the "half Tardis-es" (Lizzy's term), we were in the home stretch ;)


They were SO proud of themselves. I got a bit teary watching them. Even though this race distance was small, they had accomplished something huge for them


All done and posing for Steve. Look at their proud little faces.

They both got blue ribbons (which, if you ask them, means they won), water and ice cream sandwiches, and swag bags with water bottles and fanny packs. They thought that was the bee's knees. They also both kept talking about it all day, showcasing their pride. Cute little bugs.

I'm so proud of Steve and my little doodles for accomplishing their goals. Steve had to work hard to get in shape for his race after his knee injury and these two finished their first race and won! I really hope we can keep this up throughout their lives. Exercise keeps me happy and healthy and has prevented me from falling into the sedentary trap that so many people with chronic injuries fall into. I'm so happy for the example of fitness in my life and will continue to be an example for my family. Viva la fitness!

Peace out,

Heidi

5 comments:

Steve said...

Viva la fitness indeed. Fun times. Fun times.

cindave said...

That's awesome. Well done all!!

Erin said...

This is adorable. Races are so fun and how cool that you found one the kids could participate in. They should be very proud indeed.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Well done, indeed!! :) I've been without Internet for a few months now, and sure has some catching up to do on several blogs!

I thought you'd might like the green jacket. Remember when you sent me that yarn? I love it too!! :D

Rachel Wagner. said...

Wow. You would never have known at Slam the Dam that there were all those health problems. I'm so glad you came and we got to meet each other. What an inspiration you and Steve are. I wish my parents had expressed more of an interest in swimming. My Dad is athletic but only biking and motorcycling which are difficult for a big girl to do. Swimming has always been my favorite. Slam the Dam was the hardest race I've ever done because of the choppiness but what a thrill to cross that line. Seriously it was one of the best days of my life!