Sunday, April 5, 2009

Ha HA!

Oh ye of little faith.  All that thought I had given up knitting.  Thought that this disease was permanent.  That was just me?  Oh.  Well, I give you... wait for it... a finished object!  



Okay, so it's not the sexy cardi I've been working on (just purchased the needles for the sleeves.  Would you believe I didn't have 10.5 dpns?), but it's pretty great.  This, my dear friends, is the Amelia Earhart Aviator Cap and my new favorite hat.  It is the best hat in the world.  A very quick knit, it's an amazing way to brush up on short rows.  I'd done them just a bit in a class but never on an actual project.  You'd think the way other knitters talk about them that they're like translating Greek.  Apparently not.  This hat was easy peasy.   I'm already working on another one for a friend.  Yes, I knit more than ONE of the same thing all the time.  It's fine.  



And yes, I know this is another accessory.  Here's the thing with me, I have knitting ADHD.  I should probably be on meds.  The cardi I'm working on is boring me to SOBS.  I have to knit accessories to keep me sane.  I'm an accessory girl at heart.  Maybe someday I'll become addicted to knitting clothing but I really like the instant gratification that an accessory can give me.  Does that make me a bad knitter?  A wanna be?  A poser?  Oh well, it's how I am.  

I'm so glad to have my knitting mojo back.  I was well and truly scared that it had gone.  For good.  I almost joined a group for failed knitters.  This hat, this lovely, lovely hat has saved me. 


Here's the funny thing about Amelia.  This looks like an aviator cap.  It also looks like the hat a Catholic Bishop might wear (or would have in days of yore).  It also looks like a Medieval warrior helmet.  And last, but not least, a flapper hat.  This hat, you could say, wears many hats.  Did I mention it's my new fave?  It used to be the Unoriginal Hat, but that is so 2008.  Amelia is where it's at for '09.  

Pattern: Amelia Earhart Aviator Cap by Flor
Yarn: Rowan Cashsoft Aran.  Oooh, it's lovely! (I found the label)
Made for: Moi
Mods: Using the aran weight yarn instead of worsted.  I thought it might make it slightly bigger.  I have a massive head.  

Well, there you have it.  I love it dearly.  The pics (except the last wonky one of the seam) were taken by Steve.  He was making fun of me.  You can too.  


16 comments:

leandparkermakes3 said...

Loving the hat. It is fab!

Adam and Bri said...

so cute! it's positively lovely.

Steve said...

wasn't making fun of you. i was saying how you are dead sexy. that's a compliment. ask anyone.

i'll be your photog anytime.

CelticCastOn said...

ahhhhh it looks soooo good on you, you suit it sooo well. I'm not quite sure it would look right on me but I do love it so.

cindave said...

i can't believe you didn't have any 10.5dpns? needles! right. i don't know what i'm talking about. the hat is lovely!!! i love the color, too!

Barrie said...

That is a very cute hat. And way beyond my level of knitting! (Popped over from Chris' blog)

Kara said...

Oh I love it! Even if it did take you away from knitting your cardi. It was worth it.

Travis and Marie said...

better than the hat....is the model! great work...I admire people with talent...I have none.

Erin said...

No need to make fun...the hat is FAB. You are so very earhart.

tiennieknits said...

It is a great hat! Very cute on you!

marit said...

Great hat!
Accessories= instant gratification! I think you (and all of us knitters...) deserve that! Also, it justifies buying some really lovely yarn that would be way too expensive if it should be used for a jacket...
Happy Easter!

Lolly said...

Oh, you just have to love the instant gratification of a hat - and such a cute one like this! it looks great on you :)

heidi larsen said...

that hat is adorable on you. someday, when i kick butt at knitting, like you, i want to make one.

Cloudia said...

A midaevil flying cap, marvelous!
Aloha-

Sepiru Chris said...

Dear Heidelweiss,

Fantastilicious hat; it looks very good on you.

Very aviatrixish, too.

I have a friend who is a professional trapezista (trapeze artist--she came out with her version long before Starbucks started playing with words) and has shows dedicated to Aviatrix A.E.

K.

If I had known you could look this severe and martial I never would taken so long to respond...

:)

Tschuess,
Chris

Postscript:
Your word verification for me is micabro.

Mica is, of course, a class of hydrous silicate minerals that have large, planar, cleavage sheets... it flakes easily.

So I am your flaky bro.

How much did you pay blogger to get it to say that? And who do I contact, my non-Amish e-sis, to get back at you?

Hmm?

Cloudberry said...

What a great hat!
And you look great in it!