Monday, November 17, 2008

Oh Dear.

Well, as many of you out there probably are, I'm in a mad rush to get Christmas prezzies done.  A hat for him, a scarf for him, some mittens for her...  (Kara, I hear you in the background murmuring "accessory knitter, accessory knitter").  I've found some fabbity fab patterns that I'm really excited to try and some fantastic yarns that feel like a dream to knit with.  Do any of you find yourself in a pickle when you combine a particular pattern and a dream yarn?  I fear I have knit myself a bit of a fiasco...


This pattern is so cute and I think I've done it a bit of a disservice with the yarn I chose.  The friend I'm making them for is allergic to wool so I chose a lovely Llama/Silk mix but it's really a bit too slippy dippy doo for these!  I had to use 4 different needle sizes during the course of this pattern (one to cast on, one to knit, one for the top ribbing, one to bind off)!  They're still a bit shlumpy.  The receiver is a non knitter so she won't notice the shlumpadinka parts of these and will probably love them (they feel AMAZING) but I don't like the result.  What would my fellow knitters do?  Yes, you've noticed the thumb isn't done.  Well, I started knitting it and noticed it was inside out and got so mad that I ripped it back and decided that Kara was going to have to help me on this one.  I know it shouldn't be that hard but now I'm frustrated and stuck.  This is what happens when the Sensei returns from London.  I have stopped crying over knitting mistakes (and then figuring them out), instead I wait until Kara can help me and all is well.  Thanks friend!  

Pattern: Cabled Fingerless by Kimberly (ravelry download)
Yarn: Scacel Llama/Silk something DK
Mods: Done in magic loop.  Threw me off a bit since I'm not well versed in this method!
For: Friend (can't say unless she reads this) 

On a happier note, these are perfect (of course, they're pathetically simple...)



Aren't they cute?  Another baby gift.  They take about an hour and a half each and you're done!  
Pattern: Baby Mittens by Malin Nilsson
Yarn: Knit Picks Felici in Arugula
Made For: Baby Mason

I'm also working on a scarf for one brother in law and picked up a hat pattern for another brother in law.  




The Silky Flamme is for the hat and I think it'll be great.  The pattern has got sort of a medieval warrior look to it (earflaps and all ;)).  The Kathmandu is working out really well for the scarf.  I'm using a pattern from Last Minute Knitted Gifts (best pattern book) which is terribly boring but has a really great look.  The yarn is amazingly soft (merino, silk and cashmere) but has this wonderfully rustic look to it.  It'll need a good blocking but I'm v v excited for the end result (especially because I'm going gouge my eyes out from boredom!).  



I'm tiring myself out with this post.  This is only the tip of the Christmas iceberg!  I think I'm going to have to start buying things, ripping the tag off and saying I knit it myself.  I'm kidding, of course.  I have a bit more class than that (I think).    

Now for a tag.  It's called the 7  things tag.  Here goes...

7 things I can do:
1) Sleep
2) Knit
3) Eat
4) Swim
5) Scuba Dive
6) Go to an ice cream parlor and not eat anything!
7) Learn

7 things I can't do:
1) Keep my house organized
2) Be patient
3) Cook
4) Draw/Paint/Sketch
5) Play an insrument
6) Organize my time
7) Go a day without TV

7 things I always say:
1) You cannot be serious
2) ENOUGH!
3) I have had it!
4) Lizzy, stop hitting
5) Will, stop crying
6) I love you
7) Who's my best?
8) That is MENtal! (I had to add this, Cinda is right-I say it ALL the time)

7 things I always eat:
1) Cheese
2) Bread
3) Apples
4) Soup
5) My kids stupid chicken nuggets
6) Pancakes
7) Used to be Diet Pepsi but my neurologist has forbidden it.  I'm still counting it.

7 tags:
1) Cinda
2) Hege
3) Amanda (from BYU)
4) Marie
5) Blah
6) Blah
7) Blah


8 comments:

Kara said...

I still think the mitt is cute, and she is going to love it. But let's get on with some sweater knitting. No more mitts for you!

tiennieknits said...

I think the mitt looks cute - not a disservice at all. I refuse to stress myself out with Christmas knitting!

amanda said...

ummm...would that be me "amanda (from BYU)"?

Steve said...

I am happy to receive a sweater if you want to use me as a test dummy.

Thanks for being so thoughtful.

cindave said...

all of those items are so cute! as a non-knitter, i see no shlumpiness in the fingerless mitts. i think they are darling. on another note, you forgot one of your favorite sayings, "That is MENtal" also, your neurologist forbade diet pepsi??? that really sucks. that's probably why your back is hurting so much. i really hope you're feeling better, by the way.

Travis and Marie said...

um...seriously you are so talented in the knitting department...and I'm sad for you that Diet Pepsi can't be a drink of choice anymore...I think it's as close to God's juice as you can get...now Travis would say that Mountain Dew is....Cute little tag.

Travis and Marie said...

I added your tag to the bottom of my most recent post...thanks for sharing...I think they're kinda fun. :)

Cloudberry said...

Hope you get all your christmas knitting done in time!
I think I'll get there, but I'm not quit sure yet...

The mittens are cute :)